Monday, July 30, 2012

"Flying Fans" Shawl

I spent the majority of the last two months participating in a German study abroad program, and while I was there, I couldn't resist picking up this yarn:


I then turned that yarn into this shawl:





It was a quick, easy project and I enjoyed watching the colors shift while I worked. The pattern I used can be found here: http://yarnythings.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/flyingfanspattern.pdf.

I used an entire skein of Lana Grossa Meilenweit Doppio (approx. 400.5 m) and a 5.5 mm (I) hook. It made a pretty big shawl measuring in at 24" (61 cm) long down the spine and 47" (119.4 cm) across pre-blocking.

As for the yarn itself, I'm not sure I would recommend it. I've never used plied yarn before, so I'm not sure if this is common or not, but the thickness varied dramatically throughout the spine. I like my yarn to vary in color, but with a consistent thickness. It's fairly soft though, and very warm.



No comments:

Post a Comment