Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Held at the Starting Gate

I am working on putting together a post about why I think feminism is important, but as you may expect, it's not so easy to articulate! So, instead of continuing my series of posts on my journey through the movement today, I'd like to share some information on my sweater.

I ended up going with Knit Picks' "Wool of the Andes," just like I thought I would, and eventually chose the color "Victorian." Here's the picture from their website, since it pretty accurately depicts the color:

That gorgeous, dusky rose goes with much more than you'd immediately think, while being more interesting to stare at for hours on end than grey.

I've taken my measurements, picked my pattern, received my yarn, and I'm so ready to start working on this sweater. There's just one problem; I'm not getting gauge.

I've swatched and swatched, but I just can't match stitches per inch with the designer of the Enrobed Wrap, Amy Herzog. I'm consistently one off in either direction, which doesn't seem like much, but alters the way the sweater will fit a great deal. So now I'm left with four major options:

  1. Go with the pattern I've picked and my current gauge and hope that it doesn't make too much of a difference in the finished sweater.
  2. Alter the pattern to match my current gauge, involving a fair bit of both math and intuition.
  3. Find a different sweater pattern that has a gauge that matches mine with this yarn.
  4. Buy a different yarn for the current sweater pattern.
I'm thinking number 2 is my best bet, with number 1 as a close second. I just wish everything had worked the first time!

No comments:

Post a Comment