Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Panera, Joe, and Feminism

Everyone who works at Panera has a plethora of duties to take care of during each shift. There's a lot that needs to get done and things only run smoothly when everyone pitches in and goes a little bit above and beyond. Because I'm me and I apparently enjoy giving myself a lot of work, I've taken on one more responsibility in addition to all the others.

I'm going to teach one of my coworkers all about feminism.

The other day one of my coworkers, we'll call him Joe, and I were chatting as I ordered food from his register at break. I gave him the number for my MyPanera card and he selected my name when it came on the screen. He looked at it for a second, then asked me what my name was before I got married.

"Shuler. I kept my name when I got married," I answered. He looked confused.

"You can do that?"

I educated him on the practice of keeping one's name and told him why I chose to do so. His interest peaked when I mentioned feminism. He told me he didn't know what that was.

He genuinely  had no idea what feminism was.

Joe is a young guy in the middle of his college career that generally knows what's going on, but he'd never heard of feminism before. I'm disappointed by what this says about our school systems and general public awareness, but selfishly happy that I'm the one who gets to share such a powerful movement with a newbie. We had a good long chat about what feminism means to me and how I got started, and I think our next talk is going to cover why we still need feminism today. 

My conversations with Joe have inspired me to share my thoughts on feminism with you, because you may not know why I feel so strongly about the movement. So soon comes a less off-the-cuff version of what I told Joe feminism means to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment