Friday, August 30, 2013

Information Overload

I am uncomfortably aware of my mortality lately. I've always been pretty ok with the notion that I'm going to die, since all things must run their course, but now I'm kind of scared. What if I miss something?

You see, I'm completely overwhelmed by the knowledge that, before I die, I won't get to experience everything that I want to. I will never be able to read all the books that I want, to write all the stories that I want, to knit everything that I want, or even to look at as many funny pictures as I want.

ugly-sweater.blogspot.com

We are living in a world of fantastic content, and it's simply too much.

This post was sparked by chapter 6 of Beyond Literacy, "Information Overload" (http://www.beyondliteracy.com/information-overload/). I was drawn to the chapter because I've been thinking about this issue a lot, and it certainly confirmed my thoughts. It seems as if I'm not the only one noticing the onslaught of information, and having trouble synthesizing all of it.

I think synthesis is the root of the problem. If I could simply experience the content and then let it go, things would be fine, but I can't do that. I want to make connections, to link anything and everything in some way. It makes my heart happy to draw ideas out of other ideas. But I think if my heart has any more stimulation, it's going to explode.

Here's another funny picture, just to end on a nice note. (If you get this, we should talk and be friends.)


fuckyeahmurdershewrote.tumblr.com



No comments:

Post a Comment