Saturday, August 31, 2013

TeknoFear

I just finished reading Chapter 2 of Dennis Baron's A Better Pencil, and I must say, I don't really get it. He's talking about people who fear or have feared technology, but I just can't wrap my head around that concept.

Though there are aspects of technology that frighten me (I'm looking at you phone that's always telling people where I am), overall I'm excited about technology. I think exploring new ways of doing things and communicating is endlessly fascinating and fun. Technology is a tool, and it's up to us to wield it responsibly.

One of Baron's comment about the Unabomber stuck out to me: "The unstoppable Frankenstein or Terminator notwithstanding, we will always have more to fear from the all-too-real, all-too-crazed kitchen bomb makers than from the imaginary cyborgs whose deadliness is the product of Hollywood dream factory computers." People are the scary ones -- not technology.



Ted Kaczynski, the Unabomber
(photo credit: commons.wikimedia.org)

No comments:

Post a Comment