Thursday, November 21, 2013

Navigating a Sea of Jobs

Today is a "two cups of tea first thing in the morning" kind of day.

Yesterday I gave my big Capstone presentation. It went very well, and I was extremely happy with the amount of audience participation I received during the Q&A session. My mom came up to see it and was very proud, and treated Logan and I with a trip to Tom&Chee and Coldstone.

All of that stuff was wonderful, but it certainly made a Wednesday feel like a Friday, which is always a dangerous game to play. This morning I'm having a hard time getting started because it feels like it should be the weekend already, and it is anything but. I'm probably going to be pulling a twelve-hour day on campus because EVERYTHING IS HAPPENING TODAY. I have a million places to be and not enough time to really be in all of them.

But that's not what makes this a two cup kind of day. No, in addition to all of the stuff that's going on on campus today, I'm job hunting. I've been casually job hunting for a little while now, just to see what types of things were out there and to figure out exactly what I'm interested in, but so far it hasn't really gone anywhere. But yesterday I stumbled on a job that I REALLY want.

Reeeeeeeeeally want.

And now I'm panicking because I found it yesterday and it closes tomorrow, which means I have to get all my stuff together today. I have a resume that I've tailored to the position using my base resume that I'm fairly confident in, but I'm getting stuck on the stinking cover letter. I'm writing ok cover letters over and over again, but none of them seem to convey just how much I want this job and how good of a fit I would be for it. Every one of them falls short of the (admittedly high) bar I've set for them.

I know that I need to just slow down, take a step back, and restart the situation. Nothing good comes out of panic for me. It's just hard.

Ugh, here's a picture of an alpaca to make myself feel better.
Image from cutestpaw.com


No comments:

Post a Comment