Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Cave

Logan bought a subscription to PlayStation Plus about a year ago and we've gotten a ton of games from it. Most of them are things I'm not really interested in, so I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the list. But recently, The Cave caught my attention.
Image from gamingbolt.com
Basically, you play as three characters at a time, each of which has a bit of darkness in his/her past. Over the course of the game, you discover bits of their story by playing through puzzles and finding cave paintings that show a piece of whatever secret they're hiding. It's a fun puzzle/platformer that moves quickly and is quite charming, in a dark kind of way.

I played through with the scientist, the time traveler, and the monk. All of the stories were pretty good, but the monk really got to me. You see, the other two were dark because they centered on slightly evil choices. I won't spoil anything, but trust me, they were occurrences that everyone would say "of course you wouldn't just do that."

But the monk was different. His dark secret came about because he wanted to be something that he simply wasn't. He tried so hard to change himself, but just wasn't good at what he desired to do. His story hit me hard, because it touched upon insecurities I know that  I carry and that I suspect many other people carry as well. What if we're not actually good at what we're trying to do?

I, for example, feel that way about my writing. What if I'm trying for naught? Am I secretly the monk, doing my best for an ultimately hopeless goal?

I sure hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment