Wednesday, September 11, 2013

To Revise or Not to Revise

I just finished reading "Revising Your Writing Again?" and it got me thinking.Is my revision for better or for worse?

I often go too far with revision in my writing and rework everything until it's hardly recognizable as the same piece, often at the expense of whatever made the piece special in the first place. I'm currently going through my own personal revision Hell with my Honors Capstone -- a novella. Everything just feels like it could be so much better, and it could, but I feel like my desire to communicate my message is actually obscuring any real connection I may have made.

Blogging is an interesting contrast to my longer writing and writing for school, because I usually just slap it up after the briefest of copyediting sessions, and hardly ever change the content. The weird thing is, I'm often surprised by how much I still like my blogs when I go back and read them, especially when compared to how I feel about my academic papers.

What are your thoughts on revision? Do you revise differently on the Internet versus on paper? 

No comments:

Post a Comment