Monday, October 7, 2013

An Unfinished Book

Last night I made the difficult decision to let go of a book. You may remember from a couple weeks ago that I was reading The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan, the first in his famous Wheel of Time series.








The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1)
Logan has been obsessed with the series for a couple months now, so I told him I would read them so he'd have someone to talk to about them. I made it about a third of the way through when I finally admitted to myself that I just wasn't enjoying the story.


I can't really put my finger on why I wasn't enjoying myself. The writing style is fine, the characters are pretty interesting, and the plot is fun. It has all the elements of stereotypical fantasy I usually enjoy in a book, but it just wasn't cutting it. I didn't feel myself drawn to read it like I normally am with books, and every time I picked it up, it felt like homework, not something enjoyable to spend my free time on.


Have you ever had books like that? Books that you just didn't like for some reason you couldn't quite explain? Do you go back and try them again later, or let them go for good?

No comments:

Post a Comment